• Categories

• Archives

Smoothie Shakedown Susan

Edge On Health Blog

Tired? Irritable? Trouble Losing Weight?

Be Sociable, Share!

thyroid_1An underactive thyroid may be to blame.

The thyroid gland is the body’s energy burner and thermostat. When this gland slows down, so does metabolism, as well as heart and muscle strength.

Hypothyroidism (sluggish thyroid) is epidemic today, particularly among women, and the incidence of this condition only increases with age. Fatigue, menstrual changes, brain fog, depression, sensitivity to cold, unexplained weight gain, loss of libido, puffy face and extremities, constipation, delayed reflexes, and dry, thinning hair are only some signs of an underactive thyroid.

Dietary iodine deficiency, inflammation, radiation, surgery, and some viral infections can cause hypothyroidism. And now environmental toxins have been linked to slow thyroid function.

Perchlorate—a contaminant found in rocket fuel, fireworks, explosives, matches, and some water disinfectants—inhibits the uptake of iodine in the thyroid. Not only do water supplies throughout this country contain this toxin, but the Centers for Disease Control also found perchlorate in powdered baby formula.

Anything that interferes with iodine uptake by the thyroid interferes with prenatal and infant development—as well as normal metabolism and mental development in adults. Experimental research in China even finds that thyroid hormone may be beneficial in Alzheimer’s disease.

Dr. Ann Louise’s Take:

Iodine insufficiency also leads to low levels of healthy stomach acid or hydrochloric acid (HCl). You need iodine to enable chloride in HCl to enter the cells of your stomach. Without enough HCl, your body won’t digest protein or use minerals (like calcium, iron, magnesium) effectively.

By the time you hit age 60, HCl levels have decreased by almost half. Upping your iodine intake is one good way to increase your HCl production, improving digestion.

Because iodine is critical to so many bodily functions, I’ve included sea vegetables (agar, hijiki, kombu, nori, wakame), as well as an iodine-rich seasoning (Seaweed Gomasio) for flavor and health, at least twice a week in Fat Flush for Life menu plans and recipes. If an iodine loading test shows you’re low in this vital mineral even after eating these foods, you might want to consider Iodoral, which contains 5 mg of iodine and 7.5 mg of potassium iodide.

The Copper Connection
Besides being affected by iodine, your thyroid can be suppressed by an elevated copper level. In my experience with tissue mineral analysis (TMA) over the past two decades, I’ve observed that an elevated tissue level of copper is frequently linked to hypothyroidism.

There are many external sources for copper exposure. This mineral occurs naturally in drinking water in some areas and may even be added as copper sulfate to other municipal water supplies. Birth control pills, copper IUDs, dental fillings and crowns, copper cookware, and copper water pipes also increase levels of this mineral in your body.

A typical vegetarian diet is high in copper, and eating phytate-rich grains (whole grains) lowers levels of zinc, a mineral that balances copper. To combat this, avoid yeast, black tea, cocoa and chocolate, wheat germ, and soy.

A copper-zinc imbalance also lessens the liver’s ability to detoxify. Food cravings, frontal headaches, mood swings, menstrual irregularities, yeast infections, and weight gain result from copper overload.

Sources:
Fat Flush for Life
www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/drinkingwater/pages/Perchlorate.aspx
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20056583

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20045708
www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000353.htm
www.nytimes.com/gwire/2009/04/03/03greenwire-perchlorate-found-in-infant-formula–cdc-10432.html

Be Sociable, Share!

16 Responses to "Tired? Irritable? Trouble Losing Weight?"

1. Annie says:

I’m now just recently interested in Thyroid issues. Had a blood panel done and Doc said that my thyroid stats are still in the normal range, however on the low end of normal. She wants me to have it tested. I’m 57. What is THE normal range and does that fluctuate with different Docs?

2. Ina says:

Hi,
    I supposedly suffer from Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. (I had three antibody tests done. Two were positive, one negative.) Is iodine supplementation still an option with Hashimoto? Or can I have other tests done to prove or disprove Hashimoto? Taking L-thyroxine for the rest of my life does not really appeal to me (am currently taking 1/4 of a 75 mg tablet).

3. Anna says:

I don’t know anything about it, but I just read something about the use of low dose Naltrexone for Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.

4. The American Association of Endocrinologists has stated that any TSH score about 3 should be conisdered an indication of probable hypothyroidism.

In addition, whether you are hypo or hyper or suffer from Hashimoto’s, you should consider the Iodine Loading Test available through UNI KEY, my offiicial distirubutor . Iodine deficiency is linked to all types of thyroid disoreders..

5. Ladies: Forgive the massive typos above — I will have to get a new contact prescription :) TSH ABOVE 3 can be a cause for concern.

6. Ana G says:

I have been on Armour Thyroid since 2000. Strated at 90mg then down to 60 for the last 3 years and as of last week am now at 30mg My two last blood tests came back with very low TSH .06 I had been under a lot os stress and think my adrenals is what caused to TSH crash. Does this sound like Hoshiomto’s disease?

7. Dear Ann,
    I am receiving your e-mails and consider your health suggestions. My favorite product is whey protein. I am taking Synthroid for about 5 years without changing the amount.Lately my test result shows some improvement. Could I take Loderal also? Will it interfere with the Synthroid?Thanks,
    Mimi

8. Ana – Please consider a salivary hormone test – available through UNI KEY to assess our adrenals, which I agree could very well be involved with your health issues.

Mimi: Fat Flush Whey Protein was just featured in a woman’s newsletter as the purest, most effective whey protein on the market, so you are on the right track there. With regard to Ioderal and Synthroid, you should not take an iodine supplement of that strength unless you first take the Iodine Loading Test to assess your iodine levels. Ioderal is very therapeutic and a high dose iodine supplemnt. Please check this out on my site by clicking on Official Store up top.

9. Darla says:

I hoped I would find a forum or some kind of support network on this site for people starting the Fat Flush Plan – instead all I find is products for sale. I would like to hear from people who are on the plan and any advice they have. Is there a forum?

I have to say with all the professionalism in the book and the research behind it, this site does you no credit. It gives the impression of being gimmicky and just a bunch of products for sale. Incorporate more information and substance!

10. Joel says:

Dr Ann Louise does have a Forum for her programs- it can be found here: http://www.annlouiseforum.com

11. naturopath says:

I know hypothyroidism is still curable. Why not do it in a natural way? I stumbled upon this: http://recipetohealth.com/fixing-hypothyroidism.php

Might as well take a look :)

12. Bernadette says:

Ina – Hashimoto’s is an autoimmune disease which seems to be related to gluten sensitivity, according to http://www.drritamarie.com/
    Dr. Rita Marie is an expert on gluten sensitivity and she offers a lot of information on Hashimoto’s and other autoimmune diseases.

13. Ina says:

Bernadette – Thanks, I only just read your response and will certainly look into the Hashimoto-gluten sensitivity connection.
    (says Ina, over one year down the track)

14. co2 blood levels carbon dioxide

15. Kelly hupp says:

I have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I had my right thyroid removed 2 years ago and keep gaining weight no matter how many diets I try. My last tsh was 1 so what can be wrong with me I’m tired, moody, can think right and would just pref to sleep all day everyday. Any suggestions.

• Sierra says:

Hi Kelly,
      I would absolutely recommend the Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis that is recommended above. This test is much more sensitive to metabolic conditions than the typical doctor’s office blood test. Plus it gives you personalized dietary and supplement recommendations based on your mineral profile. This will help to balance your metabolism, and ensure that your adrenal glands and thyroid have the proper nutrition they need to work most efficiently.